What is the Sports Premium Grant?
The government provides funding to schools to help improve the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The premium has been introduced so that schools make additional and sustainable improvements for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
Firstly, what is the funding for?
Here at Saint Mary’s Catholic Primary Academy we use this funding to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
How much is the Sports Premium Grant?
In the 2019 to 2020 academic year, to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles, Saint Mary’s will receive £17,660
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
PE and Sports at Saint Mary’s Catholic Voluntary Primary Academy
Saint Mary’s has always provided a wide variety of sports through lessons or as extra-curricular activities such as gymnastics and parkour. Our teaching staff receive ongoing CPD from the sports coordinator and working alongside specialist coaches from MSP to enable them to deliver a motivating, inspiring P.E programme. The children benefit from well planned and structured PE lessons and are given a wide range of opportunities to engage themselves in PE. (St John Bosco Day, Go Run for Fun, Hockey workshop, Athlete visit, Y5 extra swimming lessons, Fencing/Archery/Balance Bikes for all year groups, KS1 cricket workshop, KS1 Tennis workshop to name just a few).
Please access the document below which shows how our grant will be used over the course of 2019-20 to improve provision for all of our pupils: