What is the Sports Premium Grant?
The government provides funding to schools to help improve the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The premium has been introduced so that schools make additional and sustainable improvements for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
Firstly, what is the funding for?
Here at Saint Mary’s Catholic Primary Academy we use this funding to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
How much is the Sports Premium Grant?
In the 2021 to 2022 academic year, to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles, Saint Mary’s will receive £17,720
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
PE and Sports at St Mary’s Catholic Voluntary Primary Academy
St Mary’s has always provided a wide variety of sports through lessons or as extra-curricular activities such as Football or Dance. Our teaching staff receive ongoing CPD from the sports coordinator and working alongside specialist coaches to enable them to deliver a motivating, inspiring P.E programme. The children benefit from well planned and structured PE lessons and are given a wide range of opportunities to engage themselves in PE. Each lunchtime there are structured games session led by the PE coaches from GTFC and our fully trained sports leaders.
We ensure every class has the opportunities to take part in a sporting competitions and events. At St Mary’s we work alongside some great local companies such as; Lincs Inspire for Bikeability, Swimforschools for catch up swimming lessons and BeGreatFitness for our breakfast club.